The ankle sprain is the most common orthopedic injury. There are essentially three kinds of ankle sprain: inversion injuries, eversion injuries, and high-ankle sprains (syndesmotic injuries). The inversion type sprain is by far the most common. It’s caused by the foot rolling inwards beyond its normal range of motion.
Signs and symptoms of ankle sprain:
- Pain and tenderness.
- Cold or numbness in the foot
- Inability to bear weight on the joint
Initial Treatments: RICE
- Ice; for the first 48-72 hours or until swelling goes down, apply ice for 10-20min every 1-2 hours per day.
- Compression; Elastic wrap (Ace wrap)to be worn for the 24-36 hours. Do not wrap elastic wrap too tight.
- Elevation; Raise your ankle above your heart level 2-2 hours per day. Elevation will help with swelling and bruising.
In extreme pain be non-weight wearing on the injured ankle. See your foot and ankle specialists right away to have your ankle evaluated to see if you have strained, sprained fractured your ankle.
We treat all foot and ankle ailments in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Peoria, Tempe, Glendale. To make an appointment with your Foot & Ankle Specialists call 480-253-9996 or visit us at www.phxfootankle.com. 85032, 85028, 85253, 85254, 85050, 85022.